Child Contact Centres

Guide to Child Contact Centres

A Child Contact Centre is a place where children can have contact with a parent in a “neutral” place. It is usually run by a voluntary organisation.

There are two types of Contact Centre, a Supported Child Contact Centre and a Supervised Child Contact Centre (for example, when there is a history of violence between parents).

To find out more see our frequently asked questions below or contact us to make a free half hour appointment or telephone us on (0115) 9247 023.

Frequently asked Questions about Child Contact Centres

If Supervised Contact was required, if support was needed for contact to occur, if the accommodation arrangements of the parent wanting contact were not suitable or if past behaviour during contact had been inappropriate or if there was a history of violence between parents. These are the sorts of circumstances where a Contact Centre would be used.
There will usually be an area with games, toys and books for children of all ages. Some centres offer tea, coffee and other refreshments.
Should I take anything with me for contact?

It is important to ensure the child has adequate nappies, favourite toys, special drinks or snacks and any other things they may need such as medicine or an inhaler. Both parents should make arrangements between them (or through solicitors) prior to contact as to who will bring necessary things for contact.

Trained volunteers or staff, all of whom will have been through a Criminal Records check, run contact Centres.
You are usually referred from a solicitor, the Court, CAFCASS, a Social Worker or Family Mediator. Some Contact Centres will allow you to refer yourself.
Yes. The National Association of Child Contact Centres has set out national standards for contact centres that they should comply with. All Centres have to comply with these standards.
No you do not. The Centre staff can deal with hand over of the child (although you must wait with the child until your ex-partner arrives).
You need to let the other parent and the Contact Centre Staff know immediately.
A Supported Contact Centre will only make notes about dates and times of attendances. They will only pass any information on if they believe a child or any contact centre staff are at risk.

A Supervised Contact Centre will pass information on and will be required to make reports on contact to monitor the situation.

Only with the written consent from either parents, or if it has been specifically requested on the referral form.
Only if they are named on the Referral Form, which is the form filled in by the person that referred you to the Contact Centre.
Get in touch with someone from our Child Law team in order to book a free 1/2 hour appointment out our Nottingham Office.

Contact our Child Law Team

Call us free

0800 1071 208

How can we help?

I am an existing client

Please Note: This enquiry is totally confidential. We only request other party details to check we are not conflicted.