This is an agreement, which is set out in a special form that both parties (the person who has Parental Agreement and the person wanting Parental Agreement) need to sign.
This then gives shared Parental Responsibility to the mother and the person named on the agreement. If the mother does not agree to making a Parental Responsibility Agreement then the father or step-father would need to look at making an application for a Parental Responsibility Order.
Only the biological parents can make a Parental Responsibility Agreement
A separate form must be completed for each child:
• The form must be completed in black ink
• The child must be resident in England or Wales
Once the form has completed, it needs to be taken to the County Court or Family Proceedings Court by both parties, and an Officer of the Court will be a witness.
The Agreement can only be ended on the following terms:
• By Order of the Court made an application of a person who has Parental Responsibility
• By Order of the Court made on application of the child permission of Court;
• When the child reaches 18.